4 ways to get a job without even trying
- Do you ever wonder why some people seem to find a job without even trying?! Meanwhile you’ve sent out close to 1,000 résumés and all you have to show for it is one interview for a Multi-Level Marketing job? Well, that’s all about to change. Now, I’m not saying give up your job search, sit back and watch American Idol, and a job will just fall in your lap. But there are some things that you can do in addition to your job search, that are very productive and a lot more fun.
- Volunteer. It’s fun, rewarding and no matter how much you slack off you can never get fired. Check out Idealist.org…most of the time you can find volunteer opportunities that will actually give you experience in your field. There are positions for Marketing, Web Design, even Tax Preparation. Most of the time you will be working alongside others that are in your field and actively employed…instant networking!!
- Paint Your Résumé on Your Car. Here’s an article about a Loyola student who got job interviews just by driving around. I have to to thank my sister Kelly in Maryland for telling me about this. You don’t necessarily have to defile your car…the morale of the story is be creative.
- Interview the Interviewer. Sick of going on job interviews? Then conduct some of your own. Find some people in your field (or other fields you’re interested in) to interview. An easy way to find and get in touch with them is through LinkedIn. If you do not know how to do this, please take a second right now and watch this video showing how to network on LinkedIn. The people that you interview will often be in a position to hire you or connect you to someone that can…either at their company or another. Everyone loves giving interviews…it makes them feel important…especially when you tell them it’s for a report or for your blog. What?? You don’t have a blog??
- Start a Blog. Make sure that your blog is relevant to your field. Promote your blog on all social media outlets. Once you get 1 million followers you can make enough money off your blog that you won’t have to work. Okay, this may be a long-shot…but blogging will keep your creative juices flowing and will also give you material for a portfolio. If you don’t have a portfolio than you really need to read my last post: 4 job-hunting tips that you HAVEN’T heard.
- Do you have a good story about how you got a job without even trying? Or any other tips? Please share below if you do.
iGrad – Resources for life after college